As we kick-off 2015, I want to look back on the things we accomplished over the past year. 2014 was a big year for the Big Boulder Initiative!
- We established the first independently operated and self-sustaining 501(c)(6) nonprofit trade association dedicated to establishing the foundation for the long-term success of the social data industry.
- We formed a board of directors comprised of representatives from enterprise, startups and academia within the ecosystem, whose mission is to collectively address key challenges within the industry
- We published a Code of Ethics and Standards in an effort to define a set of ethical values for the treatment of social data that will be used as a benchmark for companies and individuals associated with the social data industry around the world.
Thank you to all of our members who contributed to making these milestones happen and for your continued commitment to the mission of the Big Boulder Initiative!
We’re starting this year with a bang, adding three new members to our board of directors. On behalf of myself and the entire board of directors, we want to thank all of our members who participated in the vote and we are excited to have three new voices join the discussion as we kick-off 2015. I am honored to formally announce that our members have voted and elected the following new board members:
- Justin DeGraaf, Global Media Insights Director of The Coca-Cola Company
- Mark Josephson, CEO of Bitly
- Farida Vis, Director of the Visual Social Media Lab and Faculty Research Fellow of The University for Sheffield
Congratulations to our new board members! I look forward to working with each of you to chart the future of social data.
I also wanted to personally thank Brandwatch, IBM, NetBase, and Twitter who have joined the Big Boulder Initiative as founding members. In recognition of their commitment and dedication, each founding member has been given a board observer seat designed to allow them to take a strategic role during board meetings. As such, I would like to welcome the following board observers to the board of directors:
- Will McInnes, CMO of Brandwatch
- Jason Breed, Partner/Global Lead, Social Business at IBM
- Pernille Bruun-Jensen, CMO of NetBase
- Randy Almond, Head of Data Marketing at Twitter
Again I want to personally thank all of our members who had help make 2014 a huge success. For those of you who are not members, I would strongly encourage you get involved and help shape the social data industry in 2015. Happy New Year!